Coming off the laziest winter I've had in a decade (at least it felt lazy ... not climbing for turns but rather riding a ski lift each day out) I haven't been feeling super confident in my fitness. Before that, I honestly haven't ridden much since Gravel Worlds in August, what with the move from Fort Collins to Telluride, getting used to the altitude, and settling into a new job and home ... and all that lift served skiing (which is a hoot by the way, especially if you don't have to get into a car to get to the resort!). Anyway I couldn't think of a better way to go clear out the lungs and get some endurance miles in than having a go at the White Rim, solo, on my birthday. I mean, I've ridden all of 100 miles this year so what could possibly go wrong doubling that mileage in a day? I live less than three hours from Moab now, so time investment is fairly minimal ...
The week prior I was having some anxiety about even getting the ride done because for me, I've been super inactive for the last six months or so. Anxiety crept in despite the fact that I knew exactly what to expect and have made the loop a couple of times in the past. Not one to let fear dictate decisions that I make, I decided to let the chips fall where they may and just go for it but to also be prepared to finish the loop in the dark, or perhaps even spend the night out there if it came down to it. So extra food, a bivy, water filter, and my fire kit were packed. Just in case.
In the end my worries were all for naught. I had a wonderful relaxing ride, no bonk, had plenty of water, stayed on top of nutrition and hydration (which is rare for me) and met some cool like minded folks that I spent a few miles with. I wrapped it up in a little over ten hours ride time, which was quicker than I thought I'd go. As a bonus, I felt better at the finish than the other times I've ridden this, which was kind of a surprise since I rode a fully rigid bike this time. Must be those plus sized tires and drop bars, but I had none of the neck/shoulder pain that have set in in the past. Finishing at the top of the switchbacks out of Mineral Bottom felt real good, and I got a scored a beer from some moto's that had a trailer parked there. It was all good in the end and now that I've got that under my belt I feel somewhat like a cyclist again and am looking forward to the 2018 season. Still have a ways to go but I'm feeling the bike love again. Finally.
Anyway, here are some pictures.
Things I learned on the day:
- Fitness doesn't go away over night. Or even in six months, apparently. I felt pretty damned good all day, relatively speaking.
- Frame bags are great but won't protect a water bladder 100%. Somehow something rubbed a hole in the one I was schlepping and I lost about 30 oz. of water before I discovered the issue. If it was a warmer day that may have been a problem.
- The Fargo is an incredibly capable bike, without any bells or whistles. Super good times on it!
All told a pretty good day out on the bike. I think I'll do it again sometime. Sometime soon.
Apr 16, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment